"... These words are my diary, screaming out loud. And I know that you'll use them however you want to..."

Monday, October 5, 2009

Sunday in my City - CIBC Run for the Cure


This past Sunday, October 4, 2009, Myself and Ms.Lovely and Iris, participated in the CIBC Run for the Cure in support of the Canadian Breast Cancer Foundation. While we all ran for different reasons, we ran for a common goal. To raise funds and support the women and their families effected by this disease, to support the research and treatment in hopes of finding a cure.
I think we all know someone effected by breast cancer, and this event is a reminder of the importance of regular self exams and clinical testing where applicable. I had my own "scare" a few years ago when I found a lump in my breast. I called my doctor, and scheduled a visit. She checked it and said that it was most likely not breast cancer, but sent me for an ultrasound to be sure. The consensus was possibly a small cyst, and it disappeared over time.
As I stood there yesterday, listening to the survivor speaker tell her story of how she found her own lump, I was thankful for my health and awareness of breast cancer. I also found myself watching the survivors in the pink shirts, some with little to no hair, walking for their own cure.
I ran in hopes that there will be a cure in my life time, so my child will not have to face the possibility of this disease.

1 comment: